Friday, September 3, 2010

first week at the kindergarten





School has started and I couldn't be happier with the little kids I get to work with this year! Kindergarten in Armenia is optional and it is more like a daycare than a school. The ages range from 2-6 years old! So far there hasn't been any planning involved with lessons- I'm fairly sure my physical exercise lessons will consist of bouncing around, stretching, and dancing to Raffi music and Armenian songs I have not learned yet. I don't understand a word the kids are saying, but I don't think the Armenian ladies do either, so it's ok for now!
My mood has been great after each of the 3 days the kids have been coming! Sure, there has been a lot of crying for mommy and daddy with the younger group, but I feel like I've already seen growth within the kids who have opened up and started to play with others or respond to their teachers. Mom, I think I finally understand maybe just a bit about how it must have been in your classes... especially during the first week!
Two of the pictures above are of some of the older group playing on the playground, which has the potential to be a wonderful space for the children. Aren't they cute? Now, the playground is a bit broken down and there are quite a bit of dangerous things floating around that would never be allowed back home- but hopefully I can help figure out a way to update a bit. However, I'm thinking what they really need are some new toys and a new bathroom for the younger group. The toys are mostly various plastic toys that in the US we get for free in Happy Meals, or we buy for our dogs. The dolls are matted and I'm a bit scared to touch the stuffed animals because it's obvious they haven't been washed in years. The older group's room has a brand new bathroom thanks to a grant, but the younger group has an old squat facility, no running water in the building. Overall, it's so close to being perfect despite the things that are lacking.
The mayor's office supports the kindergartens, I believe there are 4 here in my city. Thursday the mayor visited our building and I finally met him!. I can tell he is very charismatic and friendly, but he spoke so fast I only caught half of what he said... it was nice to be introduced, though. Most everyone here has a story to tell about atleast 1 past volunteer because they have done so much.. I listened to his story about past volunteers Stephanie, Kyle, and Elaine, then I went in the cafeteria/kitchen and ate some soup. Haha.
With the Kindergarten starting up, going to the Bridge of Hope, tutoring, learning to cook and can with my host family (above!) and a variety of unplanned socializing trips in town- I have had a BUSY week! Earlier tonight I got together for an evening of gouging pizza, chicken wings, and brownies at my sitemate's house with some A-17s from my Marz and the Lindens!. An abandoned game of Trivial Pursuit and a house full of dirty dishes, then later leaving with a big jazz guitar... it was a wonderful end to my already great week. Thanks mom for the hot sauce, thanks for the guitar David !!

No comments:

Post a Comment